Girls Soccer: New Trier ends Loyola’s unbeaten season, advances to supersectional

Updated: May 25, 2012 11:12PM

This time a year ago, New Trier’s season ended in the sectional final with a loss to Loyola.

The Trevians came into Friday’s championship at the Niles North Sectional as the underdog to the top-ranked, top-seeded and undefeated Ramblers, who beat New Trier 2-0 at the Pepsi Showdown early this spring.

But the Trevians’ defense stayed strong enough to allow Maddie Mulford the opportunity to win the game in the third overtime. After a pass from Rachel Shellenback up field, the sophomore caught Loyola’s Lauren Smith out of position and sent a shot over her head in the 103rd minute for a 1-0 victory.

“I love her,” New Trier coach Jim Burnside said of Mulford. “She does not stop working. I asked her during the game if she needed a sub, and she wagged her finger at me. She has guts. She’s not only a bulldog, but she’s smart.

“She’s a coach’s dream.”

No. 3-ranked New Trier (20-3-1) now plays CSL South rival Glenbrook South at the Fremd Supersectional on Tuesday. A win there earns the Trevians a trip to the state tournament for the first time since 2007.

“That was one of the few times in a long time we were the definitive underdog,” Burnside said. “We stepped up beyond belief.”

Burnside applauded his defense — Aly Marzonie, Molly Cahill, Nora Mabie, Sarah Connors — in the upset win over the Ramblers (24-1-1).

“Wow,” said Marzonie, the lone starter on the back line. “We all played so well. We communicated constantly. There was a lot of chitter chatter back and forth. I think we get better with every game.”

Loyola had opportunities, but the Ramblers couldn’t convert their chances. They suffered a blow when starting goalie Brittany San Roman left the game for good midway through the second half after getting banged up.

But Smith played with poise and turned back several New Trier shots, including one in the first OT and one early in the third OT.

Burnside said Friday’s game was about which team blinked first.

“The bottom line is we had to find a way to crack a safe,” he said.

© 2015 Sun-Times Media, LLC. All rights reserved. This material may not be copied or distributed without permission. For more information about reprints and permissions, visit To order a reprint of this article, click here.

Comments  Click here to view or make a comment