Boys Soccer: Hinckley-Big Rock takes third at state

Updated: October 27, 2012 11:10PM

NORMAL — Hinckley-Big Rock was determined to hold onto its lead in Saturday’s Class 1A third-place game against Keith Country Day. It took a second-half rally, but the Royals did hold on and won 4-3 at The Corn Crib.

“It was about intensity,” H-BR coach Paul Taeuber said. “The intensity dropped on those goals, but we talked about it at halftime. We got it back.”

The Royals led 2-0, saw Keith rally to tie 2-2 at halftime, scored two second-half goals and then held off the Cougars.

“This year, we talked about every inch, every minute,” Taeuber said. “Once we got that back, we were OK.”

Billy Weissinger broke the 2-2 tie with an unassisted goal early in the second half, and Bernie Conley added another on a free kick three minutes later to make it 4-2.

Weissinger took the ball in stride just inside the penalty area and beat a charging Keith goalie Matt Greer in the 52nd minute. Conley’s goal came after he was fouled by Keith’s David Rebollar just outside the penalty area. His free kick sailed just under the crossbar. It was Conley’s second goal of the game and 37th of the season.

“Coming back to win like we did was fantastic,” Conley said.

The Royals scored a pair of goals in rapid-fire succession early to jump out to a 2-0 lead. Conley’s shot from just inside the penalty area went through Greer’s hands in the sixth minute to make it 1-0. Just 26 seconds later, Conley assisted Weissinger, who slid through the Keith defense and popped the ball inside the left post from about 8 yards.

Keith rallied to tie it at 2-2 on a pair of goals by Rafi Pelayo. In the 11th minute, Pelayo scored on a diving header after his first shot rebounded back to him off the left post. Eleven minutes later, he scored from 12 yards on an assist from Keegan Dolphin.

“Up to this point, we haven’t been giving up goals,” Taeuber said. “This weekend, we gave up seven. That’s the most in two games we’ve given up all year.”

The Cougars missed a chance to take the lead early in the second half, but a penalty kick by Pelayo sailed over the crossbar after teammate Angel Carreno was fouled in the 44th minute.

Keith narrowed H-BR’s lead to 4-3 in the 67th minute when Danny Morales’s shot slipped between the left post and H-BR goalie Jason Bohannon.

© 2015 Sun-Times Media, LLC. All rights reserved. This material may not be copied or distributed without permission. For more information about reprints and permissions, visit To order a reprint of this article, click here.

Comments  Click here to view or make a comment