Boys Tennis: Glenbrook South’s Konrad Zieba ruled ineligible by IHSA
Updated: May 10, 2012 6:52PM
Konrad Zieba is the latest standout tennis player to have his season cut short.
In his first year at Glenbrook South, the junior has been ruled ineligible by the IHSA for his participation in an International Tennis Federation tournament, ending his chances at a state championship in singles.
Zieba was in position to challenge for Glenbrook South’s first state title in singles after New Trier’s Jared Hiltzik, last year’s runner-up, quit the team last week. Hiltzik’s younger brother Aron, another contender for the title, also left the Trevians last week.
According to Titans coach Larry Faulkner, Zieba knew he was violating IHSA rules by entering the tournament this week in Plantation, Fla., but Faulkner said the invitation to compete at that level was too much for the 16-year-old to pass up.
Susie Knoblauch, the IHSA’s assistant executive director for boys tennis, said Zieba submitted the proper paperwork for a waiver, but it was denied by the organization, both because the IHSA doesn’t approve tournaments by the ITF as well as Zieba’s absence from school for more than one day.
“Sometimes, students have to make a choice and do what is best for them,” Knoblauch said.
Faulkner didn’t know if Zieba would appeal the decision, but the coach is moving forward as if Zieba is done for the season. Knoblauch said Zieba has the right to appeal the decision.
“I have to assume nothing is going to change,” Faulkner said. “It’s unfortunate because he’s a great player and a nice, hard-working young man. It’s unfortunate (the IHSA) chose not to approve it.”
Sam Hoogland now steps into the No. 1 singles position for the Titans, who play at the CSL South tournament this weekend before hosting their own sectional the following weekend.